Civil Construction Pipe Superintendent
Reports ToProject Manager
Summary/ObjectiveThe Pipe Superintendent is a highly qualified position, with responsibilities covering jobsite safety, project documentation, scheduling, and successful project completion. Experience with municipal utilities, (water, sewer, storm piping, etc).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a list of primary tasks and responsibilities of the Pipe Superintendent. Some of these may be delegated to jobsite personnel, however, the Superintendent holds the ultimate responsibility:
- Responsible for all aspects of safety on the job site including, but not limited to, safety incidents, reporting, safety equipment, and safety precautions.
- Leads with positive attitude toward policies pertaining to safety, and regularly works to foster a safe work environment.
- Ensures strict adherence to project-specific plans and specifications.
- Effectively promotes organization’s goal of zero rework on all projects.
- Promotes organization’s goal of beating project budget on all jobs.
- Ensures adherence to project budget and immediately informs Project Manager when tasks/items of work cannot be completed within budget.
- Timely and accurately maintains quantity records. Reports quantity records on a daily/weekly basis as required by the Project Manager.
- Assists in planning work schedule, determining field labor levels and tool/equipment requirements.
- Completes 3-week look-ahead schedules on a weekly basis and ensures adherence to project schedule.
- Supervises all field labor and subcontractors in underground utility installation while acting as a liaison between field and office personnel.
- Resolves employee conflicts and grievances, informing project and corporate management as appropriate.
- Ensures that project rules, procedures and programs are followed consistently, including those involving safety, attendance, and workplace behavior standards.
- Responsibility on the jobsite includes, but is not limited to, assisting in the determination of manpower and equipment needs; project scheduling; equipment maintenance; tool and material management; and management of subcontractors.
- Reviews, understands, and implements contract documents.
- Timely and accurately maintains all field-related records (crew timecards, JSAs, redline drawings, schedules, daily reports, quantity books, etc.).
- Drive a motor vehicle safely to visit job sites, attend meetings, travel as necessary and otherwise perform the responsibilities of the position.
- Performs other tasks assigned by the Project Manager and/or General Manager (other duties as assigned).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
- Minimum experience of five years as a supervisor in underground utility installation required. Additional experience as supervisor in excavation and/or sitework preferred.
- Must be able to supervise multiple projects and multiple pipe crews each with its own Foreman.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of industry-standard safety protocol, means and methods, materials and equipment.
- Must be able to read engineered drawings, specifications, construction contracts, subcontracts and other construction-related documents as required.
- Must be able to plan, assign and direct the work with the proper amounts of labor, materials, tools, and equipment required to complete the project.
- Must be able to analyze problems and make sound decisions in a timely manner based on objectives, risks, implications and costs.
- Must be able to travel to (or live at) remote construction project locations (as required) for whatever periods of time are necessary to complete the project. Work hours will vary by job, location and season. Working night shift may be required from time to time.
- Must have proven leadership and motivational skills.
- Must be able to supervise employees and subcontractors in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Must be able to train employees; assess performance; reward and discipline based on behavior; address complaints and resolve employee-related issues.
- Must utilize strong organizational skills.
- Must display strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess a tactful and mature demeanor necessary to initiate and maintain business relationships including working effectively with owners, engineers, co-workers, subcontractors, suppliers, and the public.
- Must be proficient in the use of personal computers, keyboards, tablets, and smart phones.
- Must become familiar with the estimating, project management and scheduling software used by the company.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have a valid driver’s license and motor vehicle history record that meet company insurance requirements. Class A CDL preferred. OSHA 30 hour within 30 days of hire.
- This position requires the employee to stand, walk, use hands and handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, lift above their head, talk and hear.
- This position requires the employee to move on uneven terrain, kneel, crouch or stoop, ascend and descend ladders, bend at the waist, squat and crawl in tight or confined spaces.
- This position requires the employee to lift, move or push up to 75 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Typical work hours and days may fluctuate depending on the specific project requirements.
Travel expected for this position includes travel to construction job sites as assigned. Limited regional travel will be required as needed.
Williams Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature on the job application constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.