Civil Construction Pipelayer
Summary/ObjectiveThis position involves various manual and grading tasks including, but not limited to, laying various types of pipe (drain, sewer, water, etc.), setting grade markers, monitoring grade to guide pipe laying activities, operates and understands the use of a variety of measuring instruments and hand tools, shoveling, sweeping, mechanical assistance, lifting, pushing and pulling various objects and raking. Work will be performed per the supervisor's instruction, (free from direct supervision except for more complicated jobs).
1. Reads and sets grade markers in accordance to construction plans.
2. Constructs and lays various types of pipe in accordance to construction plans and company standards.
3. Operates and ensures accurate use of grade equipment (GPS Rover).
4. Observes excavating activities to verify conformance to marker references and notifies equipment operators and supervisor of deviations.
5. Interacts with construction crew members who are facilitating alignment, movement, and adjustment of materials and equipment to complete conformation of grade specifications for the pipe project.
6. Inspects leveling equipment for accurate and safe day-to-day operation and for general maintenance needs.
7. Performs various labor intensive activities as instructed by supervisor: shoveling, leveling, scraping, raking, etc.
8. Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
1. Minimum of five years related experience in residential and/or institutional projects.
2. Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or construction science/construction management a plus.
1. Willingness and ability to travel.
2. Ability to follow verbal and written instruction.
3. Concentration, alertness, and attention to detail.
4. Ability to work with others and/or independently under minimal supervision.
5. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
6. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
May be subject to drug testing, medical exams and physical abilities testing.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality.
2. Quantity: Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
3. Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
4. Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
5. Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
6. Oral Communication: Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
7. Teamwork: Contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
1. To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to type and use keyboards accurately and have knowledge of database software.
2. Experience in Microsoft suite is desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
1. GRIP – with at least 90 lbs. of force
2. CLIMBING – in, around, and on equipment
3. HEAVY LIFTING – of extremely awkward parts and equipment up to75 lbs. from floor to waist
4. CARRYING – awkward parts and equipment up to 75 lbs. for 50 feet or more
5. HIGH LIFT – of up to 50 lbs. floor to shoulder
6. FLEXIBILITY – awkward reaches
7. BALANCE – including standing and walking on extremely slick and uneven surfaces while carrying.
8. VISION – 20/40 corrected vision to see moving safety hazards, moving equipment, vehicles, and obstructions
9. HEARING – corrected to hear verbal safety warnings and instructions from coworkers
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Standard Driver’s License
Williams Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature on the job application constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.