Civil Construction Foreman
Summary/ObjectiveThe Foreman is responsible for providing direct in-field supervision of a crew working on all phases of construction, maintenance and repair operations and programs of Williams; all other related work as required. The Foreman is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control. The Foreman serves as the front-line Safety Officer for the site/project, and is directly responsible for the safety of their crew. In this role, the Foreman will direct the crew in the installation of storm sewers, waste water lines, and water mains.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Checking with superintendent for morning schedule.
- Assessing job priorities and assigning employees to appropriate job tasks.
- Making sure employees have tools and equipment needed for job in order to ensure safety and production.
- Overseeing the work and making sure it runs smoothly and as per the project plan.
- Giving clear directions to crews as to what needs to be done to avoid repetitive mistakes, or rework.
- Making sure company rules are followed by crew.
- Hold a daily take 5/JHA meeting and record a record of it in the log for future references.
- Acts as leader and supervisor for small crews engaged in road/highway construction, maintenance and repair projects, bridge construction maintenance and repair, and other civil infrastructure projects.
- In the absence of the Superintendent supervises operations, directing sub-contractors, and maintaining material inventory.
- Ensures that all equipment is safe and ready for operation at all times, reports to Superintendent or Shop in the absence of the Superintendent on damage and non-functioning parts and equipment, ensures that normal servicing of equipment is performed properly and advises and assists as necessary the Field Service Technician. Operates motor vehicles and equipment necessary for completion of projects.
- Performs labor incidental to the work of operating equipment, other laboring tasks when required.
Regular attendance and punctuality at the workplace is required.
Required Education and Experience
- 5+ years of experience in public works or heavy civil construction and maintenance including heavy equipment and motor vehicle operation.
- Experience operating heavy equipment such as excavator, front end loader, bulldozer and backhoe is strongly preferred.
- Experience using levels and lasers to establish grade.
- Field supervision experience is strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of division operations.
- Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods and techniques relative to road/highway construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of field safety.
- Skill and knowledge in operating equipment such as excavators, front end loaders, motor graders, backhoes, etc. commonly used in dirt work.
- Ability to participate in and supervise workers operating light, heavy, and special motorized equipment.
- Ability to supervise road/highway construction projects from general plans and instructions given and to determine the proper amounts of various materials, tools, and equipment needed.
- Ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment operated.
- Ability to read engineering plans and blueprints.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally with supervisor and crew.
- Flexibility: Ability to work in a number of diverse locations is pertinent, as work locations may change daily.
- Expected Hours: Hours will vary by job, location and season. Working a night shift may be required.
- Project Management
- Results Driven
- Time Management.
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Technical Capacity.
1. To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to type and use keyboards accurately and have knowledge of Database software.
2. Experience in HCSS or Bid2Win, Microsoft Project or Star Builder, and Microsoft Office is desirable.
- The Foreman while performing the essential functions of this job is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, lift above their head, and talk or hear.
- The Foreman is occasionally required to kneel, crouch or stoop, climb ladders, bend at the waist, squat, and crawl in tight or confined spaces to perform the essential functions.
- The Foreman will occasionally lift, move or push up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
- Ascending and descending ladders or stairs is required, and movement on uneven terrain is frequently required to carry out essential duties.
- Driving of a vehicle is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Standard Driver’s License
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration.
2. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites.
3. The noise level in the work environment and job sites is usually loud.
1. Directly supervises one to two employees and consultants involved in project.
2. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
3. Responsibilities include participating in interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Travel expected for this position includes travel to construction job sites as assigned.
Williams Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature on the job application constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.