Civil Construction Foreman
Summary/ObjectiveThe Foreman is responsible for providing direct in-field supervision of a crew working on all phases of construction, maintenance, and repair operations of Williams Civil Construction along with all other related work as required. The Foreman is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control. The Foreman serves as the front-line Safety Officer for the site/project and is directly responsible for the safety of their crew.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Responsible for all aspects of crew safety including, but not limited to, safety incidents, reporting, safety equipment, and safety precautions.
2. Leads with positive attitude toward policies pertaining to safety, and regularly works to foster a safe work environment.
3. Hold a daily JSA meeting and submit record with crew signatures to Superintendent.
1. Ensures strict adherence to project-specific plans and specifications.
2. Effectively promotes organization’s goal of zero rework on all projects.
1. Promotes organization’s goal of beating project budget on all jobs.
2. Ensures adherence to project budget and immediately informs Superintendent when tasks/items of work cannot be completed within budget.
3. Timely and accurately maintains quantity records. Reports quantity records on a daily/weekly basis as required by the Superintendent.
1. Develop daily/weekly schedule with the Superintendent.
2. Assists the Superintendent in planning work schedule, determining field labor levels and tool/equipment requirements.
1. Acts as leader and supervisor for crews engaged in all aspects of civil construction projects.
2. Regular attendance and punctuality at the workplace are required – first person on the job and last to leave mentality required.
3. In the absence of the Superintendent, supervises/directs onsite project operations.
4. Gives the crew(s) clear direction as to what needs to be done in order to perform the work in a safe an efficient manner without mistakes and/or rework.
5. Ensures employees have the necessary tools and equipment required to perform the job in a safe and efficient manner.
6. Assesses job priorities and assigns employees to appropriate job tasks.
7. Maintains material inventory for all work under his/her control.
8. Ensures company policies and procedures are followed by crew.
9. Ensures that all equipment is safe and ready for operation at all times; reports to Superintendent or shop in the absence of the Superintendent on damage and non-functioning equipment; ensures that normal servicing of equipment is performed properly; advises/assists as necessary in service/repairs; operates motor vehicles and equipment necessary for completion of projects.
10. Performs labor incidental to the work of operating equipment, other laboring tasks when required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
1. Minimum of five (5) years of experience in heavy civil construction and/or public works projects, including heavy equipment and motor vehicle operation.
2. Must possess thorough knowledge of state and federal safety requirements.
3. Must be able to supervise crews of 2-10 employees operating light, heavy, and special motorized equipment related to heavy civil construction.
4. Must be able to read engineered drawings, specifications, construction contracts, subcontracts and other construction-related documents as required.
5. Must be able to supervise heavy civil construction projects through the implementation of project-specific plans and specifications, along with instructions given by the Superintendent
6. Must possess thorough knowledge of the materials, methods, equipment, and techniques required for heavy civil construction including excavation, road construction, and underground utilities.
7. Must be able to plan, assign and direct the work with the proper amounts of labor, materials, tools, and equipment required to complete the work.
8. Must have experience operating heavy equipment such as excavator, front end loader, bulldozer, haul truck and backhoe is strongly preferred.
9. Must have thorough knowledge in the use of levels, lasers, and GPS equipment required to establish grade and layout.
10. Must be able to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment operated.
11. Must be able to train employees; assess performance; reward and discipline based on behavior; address complaints and resolve employee-related issues.
12. Must display strong written and oral communication skills.
13. Must be able to travel to (or live at) remote construction project locations (as required) for whatever periods of time are necessary to complete the project. Work hours will vary by job, location and season. Working night shift may be required from time to time.
14. Must possess a tactful and mature demeanor necessary to initiate and maintain business relationships including working effectively with supervisors, owners, engineers, co-workers, subcontractors, suppliers, and the public.
15. Must be proficient in the use of personal computers, keyboards, tablets, and smart phones as required by the project and/or Superintendent.
16. Must be able to complete crew timecards and daily reports in a timely and accurate manner.
1. This position requires the employee to stand, walk, use hands and handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, lift above their head, talk and hear.
2. This position requires the employee to move on uneven terrain, kneel, crouch or stoop, ascend and descend ladders, bend at the waist, squat and crawl in tight or confined spaces.
3. This position requires the employee to lift, move or push up to 75 pounds.
Williams Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Employee signature on the job application constitutes employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.